Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Sunday, July 4, 2010

I’m Back!!!

I have arrived back home safely from the family vacation.  I’ve been gone for about a week and a half, first to hit up a wedding in Florida for a friend from college which was nice to see all my good friends from college, and then Eric and I drove across the state of Florida to meet my parents for a cruise to Cozumel and Grand Cayman.  There wasn’t too much training going on while I was gone, although I did try to get short runs and bikes in.  Now it’s crunch time.  There are 55 days left until Ironman Louisville.  Here’s where I stand on all of the events…

Swim – Although I definitely need to start spending more time in the pool, I feel very confident in this sport and have no doubts I will be able to meet the deadline with lots of time to spare and not be exhausted coming out of the water.  My goal for the upcoming weeks is to hit the pool at least 2 times per week.  Compared to my 0-1 times per week I’m doing now, this will be an improvement.  What can I say, I get bored easily and swimming back and forth in a pool is pretty darn boring!

Bike – After my 73 mile ride from two weekends ago, I’m feeling pretty confident.  Granted, I was absolutely exhausted after that, but I have some more long rides up my sleeve in the near future to help build on what I have going.  What are those rides, you may ask?  Well, this coming Saturday I’m planning on trying to get 100  miles in on a bike path (for the relative flatness to save the legs a little) the day before I compete in an Olympic distance triathlon (my first race of the summer!).  The following weekend I’m doing the Tour de Montgomery (70 miles) and may ride to or from the ride to add some more miles (if I don’t have a way to get home, then I have no choice, right???).  Then the first weekend in August I’m doing a century ride with Eric as my SAG support.  It’s an organized ride, so I will be given the route map, but there are no rest stops and no water refills, which I desperately need.  I will try to complete the entire 100 miles with minimal stopping, but I will need to refill my water bottles multiple times to have enough liquids.  I feel that after all of those rides I should be ready.  Hopefully the weather cooperates (as well as my body)!  My goal for the upcoming weeks is to get at least 2 rides in outside as well as 1 either on the trainer or at spin class. 

Run – Here’s where I am completely not ready for what is coming at me.  I need to get more runs in if I’m going to survive this thing.  My longest run so far has been 7 miles.  This would be great if I was just training for a Half Ironman, but I’m not.  I’m doing the full monty.  So long runs, here I come!  My ultimate goal for the race is to run at least half of the marathon…however I feel like splitting up my run/walk intervals on that day, we’ll see.  But I will run at least half of it, even if I’m running at the speed of molasses.  Goal for the upcoming weeks to try to get back on track with the running – 3-4 runs a week, one of which is a long run.  I may start trying to fit my long run in during the middle of the week so I’m not taxing my legs so much on the weekends, but we’ll see how that works out. 

On the schedule for today, just a little workout to get my legs back in gear after a bit of a vacation.  I’m riding on the trainer for 1.5-2 hours and then heading out for a quick t-run.  I’ve got a triathlon next weekend and I need to get ready!

No comments: