Alternative titles:
The 13.35 mile half-marathon
A unknown PR
And I’m sure many others….
I competed in the Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon on Saturday, hoping for a PR (my first and only half marathon time was 2:09.54 at the Flying Pig Half in 2008). I felt good going in to the race, and I knew the course was going to be significantly flatter than the Flying Pig course, so I was optimistic.
My mom also competed in the Half Marathon!
We both look lovely…cut us some slack! It was early on a Saturday morning!
The weather was perfect minus the strong winds. Those definitely came back to haunt me for the final 5 miles or so.
I lined up near the 9:45/mile pace group. There was a marathon going on at the same time as well, so I was able to follow the pacers for about 6 miles until we split off from the marathoners. It was helpful for me because I would have something to shoot for when I started back up with my run intervals after my walk intervals. I knew that if I caught back up to the pace group, I was doing well.
I was feeling great for most of the race…until about mile 10. Then it was like the wheels fell off. I was averaging about 9:30/mile, which was making me super happy. My Achilles tendon started to hurt at about mile 4, which wasn’t fun, but I just tried to zone out and not think about it which seemed to help. So I was trucking along, and then around mile 10 we joined back up to the marathon route and I noticed my Garmin was a few tenths of a mile off. This was a major mental obstacle for me and I definitely think it impacted my performance negatively! I was getting so frustrated when I saw my Garmin switch over to a new mile and I could see the mile marker down the road in front of me still. Very frustrating! Also at about mile 10 the course started running in to the wind. At this point, my legs were hurting, my feet were hurting, and I was struggling with my positive thinking. I kept taking extra walk breaks and it took a lot of self-talk to get me to start running again.
Here I am almost to the end of the race, just happy to know that I was only about 1 mile from the finish!
And here I am running in to the finish!
Done!
My favorite post-run drink….they had it at the finish line!
Cheering my mom on to the finish line!
Upon finishing the race, I checked my Garmin to see what kind of time I had…and I noticed that my mileage read 13.35 miles. Huh?!?! That’s a quarter mile longer than I should’ve run! I asked a couple other people around me and they verified that my Garmin was not incorrect in its calculation.
No Fair!!!
I’m really perturbed about this…I ended up PRing with a 2:09:06, but they are including a quarter of an extra mile in that finish time. I want to know what my actual half marathon time was! I would’ve PRed by at least 2 minutes probably. Boo.
So….their “official results” say:
10K split – 1:00:38.0
Ave pace = 9:50/mile (dumb)
Finish time – 2:09:06.7 (dumb)
1413 out of 2945 finishers
My Garmin says:
2:09 finish time, 13.35 miles, 9:40/mile pace
It’s my Garmin and I’m stickin’ to it!
I’m still kind of sore today (Monday). I rested yesterday and I’m resting today. I think the car ride home from Indy yesterday didn’t help anything because my legs were super sore getting out of the car when we got back in to town. I’m planning on getting a run in tomorrow. Today I’m catching up on TV shows.
No comments:
Post a Comment