Whew…lots of cycling this weekend!
First ride: Saturday
Tour De Donut
This year was the second year participating in the Tour de Donut. It has not disappointed me yet! The premise of the ride is to bike 30 miles with two rest stops that have donuts. For each donut you eat, you get 5 minutes off your time.
I did the ride with Eric, Jennie, Bill, and Jennie’s friend Anne.
The crew in front of me…
We set off at a leisurely pace, and there’s never much pressure for us to eat a bunch of donuts because we know there’s no chance for us to win at our pace…but it was still fun to challenge ourselves to beat our “records” from last year!
At the first rest stop, I dove in to the donuts….
Yum!
The guy in the green behind me to the left is the winner from last year. He ate 25 donuts last year and he was a sight to see. Last year he had a girl following him to each rest stop and video taping him eating donuts. He dunked his donuts in water last year before he ate them. He also flipped over his handlebars and hurt himself pretty bad. He was a sight, that’s for sure!
This year, the guy changed his strategy…and it may have been his downfall. Instead of dunking in water, he dunked in orange gatorade. It was so gross to see him wringing his donuts of gatorade. I wanted to vomit. He consumed 12 donuts at the first stop, and was no longer at the second stop when we got there. Turns out he only ate 19 donuts this year. Poor showing on his part.
Anyways, I was pretty impressed with myself that I was able to eat 4 donuts at the first stop. Jennie and Bill were loving their donuts…
At the second stop, I was able to get one more down before calling it quits. Last year I ate 4, so I was able to beat my record by one donut…which I’m happy with. Eric ate a total of 7 donuts, beating his record by 3!
They were pretty good donuts…and I don’t even really like donuts usually!
After the Donut ride, Eric and I headed up to Findlay to rest up for our century ride the next day. We picked up our ride packets and I purchased some arm warmers and knee warmers to have for Spring riding when I start training for my Ironman.
Second ride: Sunday
Hancock Horizontal Hundred (first century ride!)
Eric and I arrived at the ride start bright and early at 7:00 a.m. and it was pretty chilly outside! Good thing I bought those arm warmers the day before. They came in handy for the first 50 miles of the ride. We hit the road, very nervous about how our bodies were going to handle the long day in the saddle!
The ride is called the “horizontal hundred” for a reason…it’s pretty flat, which is exactly the reason that Eric and I picked this for our first century. The ride held true to its name, with the biggest hills being at overpasses at the interstate.
We arrived at the first rest stop at the 25 mile mark in good condition. When we walked in the area with the food, we got a good chuckle because they had tons of donuts sitting out! They had chocolate iced ones with sprinkles, and I couldn’t resist!
I had some orange slices too…so I was somewhat healthy!
The lunch stop was at the 46 mile mark, and it was definitely needed! We were starting to feel the affects of our butts being on small seats for an extended period of time. Other than that, we were doing good. After grabbing some lunch, we headed back out, focusing on getting to the 70 mile mark for the next rest stop.
After taking a break there, we headed towards the next rest stop which was at the 89 mile mark. We had discovered the night before that the ride was actually about 102 miles, not just 100…so we knew we had 12 miles to go! We were going to do this.
We were in pain, our legs were tired, and our butts hurt…but we did it! 101.8 miles.
That’s supposed to be “100”.
And the official Garmin results….
I stopped my watch at every rest stop, so this is just the time we spent on the bikes (minus a brief rest stop where I forgot to stop the time).
We were going at a pretty leisurely pace…averaging 14.9 mph for the ride. I hope to go faster for Ironman…but it was good to get this milestone out of the way. I now know I can do a century…and what’s 12 more miles (or in my case, 11.2)? Piece of cake.
It was a good weekend, though, with good cycling!
Now it’s time to focus on running. I’m potentially going to do a marathon the first weekend in November. I have limited time to get my mileage up…all while keeping injury at bay. We’ll see how it goes.
For now, it’s time for bed!
No comments:
Post a Comment