Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Friday, September 11, 2009

Always Remember

This post is totally unrelated to anything sports, general life events, etc.  But I felt this needed to be posted.

Today is 9/11.  8 years after the fact.

I was talking to one of the teachers at the high school today and he was telling me how he devotes a few days every year to the events of 9/11.  The high schoolers he teaches now were only 10-12 when the event occurred.  They mostly don’t remember it.  Soon enough high schoolers will not have even been alive when it happened.  I commend that teacher for exposing his students to the events that occurred on that day.

I remember it.  I will always remember it.  I was a freshman in college.  I was walking down the hall to take a shower because the showers across the hall were closed for cleaning.  Because I had to walk down the hall, I had to walk by the lounge with a television.  There were quite a few people watching tv on this particular morning…and usually there was no one in there.  You could see the tv through a glass window from the hallway.  I saw the towers on fire.  I don’t think they had fallen yet.  I was glued to the tv (minus when I pulled out my calling card to call my mom…I didn’t have a cell phone then..ha!).

They unofficially cancelled classes that day and everyone was walking around in a daze.  I don’t remember the conversations that were had on that day nor what I did for the rest of  they day…but I will always remember where I was when I saw the towers fall. 

No comments: