Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Wright Wride

The plan this morning was to complete the 62 mile course of the Wright Wride.  I was wearing my tri-shorts to practice for race day, and because of that, I was a little uncomfortable in the saddle.  Eric had some trouble with his legs cramping up, so we opted for the 50 mile course instead. 

The route was pretty hilly!

Cycling 8-23-2009, Elevation - Time

Eric and I actually got off our bicycles and walked at the hill at the 1:45.00 mark.  It was a bit too much for my legs, even!  Other than the hills, I felt great!  My legs were really tired and heavy at first, most likely due to the 10.5 miles I ran yesterday.  But after a while, they felt pretty fresh.  I still wasn’t able to get in to my aero bars, which I was bummed about…but I think I’ll be fine in two weeks for the race.

Right before the end of the ride, we stopped by Young’s Jersey Dairy to pick up some ice cream.

DSCN1106

Caramel chocolate toffee and peanut butter cup…Yum!

DSCN1108

We finished the 50 mile ride in 3 hours, 32 minutes and averaged 14 miles per hour.  Not as fast as I would have liked, but Eric was really suffering, so we cranked the pace down a bit. 

Other pictures from the ride…

Lots of corn and overcast skies.

DSCN1102

Over the shoulder shot…

DSCN1103

Open road…

DSCN1105

We made it back in one piece and now I’m just relaxing.  I went to the grocery store to pick up some ingredients to make some enchiladas and cookies this week.  I’m in a baking mood!

Back to work tomorrow.  A complete week of school.  Plus my first week of taper!  Tomorrow’s a rest day, and I’m planning on some active rest with an early morning 2-3 mile run.  Nothing special…nice and easy.  I believe Tuesday has a swim on the schedule, which will be my first swim since the accident.  I think I’m ready.  My wounds are completely scabbed now and starting to peel.  They are very itchy, which I guess is a good sign!

No comments: