Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Saturday, August 22, 2009

12 Mile….errr, 10.5 Mile Run/Walk

I set out this morning with a 12 miler in my mind.  My training plan called for a 2 hour run, and on a perfect day that would mean around 12 miles.  But when do I have perfect days?  Certainly not today!  The weather was perfect, so at least I had that going for me.  It was in the low 70s and mostly overcast.  I could go for a little cooler still, but it’s better than the high 80s and sunny!  My knee gave me some pain and I was super tired, and I ended up running only 10.5 miles in 1 hour, 55 minutes.  Eh, at least I did the two hours!

Long run of the week:  Check!

Tomorrow Eric and I are heading up to Dayton tomorrow to do the Wright Wride, a 62 mile touring ride that takes us by Young’s Jersey Dairy (yay for delicious ice cream!).  I’m going to try to keep above a 15 mph average for the entire ride, and keep the breaks to a minimum (maybe only stopping for the ice cream).  It’s my final long test ride before the Half Ironman.  I need to make the most of it!

Last night I had a blast at the comedy show with Jennie and Jamie.  It was slightly warm, but it definitely could have been worse!

DSCN1090

After my run this morning I headed up to Eric’s with Keifer in tow. 

The other night at dinner with the girls Cindy gave me a new dog toy to take home with me to Keifer.  It’s basically like an everlasting gobstopper for dogs.  Keifer loves it! 

DSCN1095

DSCN1099

Later in the afternoon, Eric and I were going to run some errands.  We set out in the car and made it about 3 houses down the street and saw a dog running loose.  Of course, being the dog lovers we are, we stopped to see if the dog had a collar.  No collar.  The dog was also incredibly dirty.  He was a very nice dog, though, and seemed well-behaved.  So, of course, we decide it’s a good idea to bring the dog home to give it a bath and see if we can figure out where he came from.  A lady that lives down the street happened to be driving by and said she didn’t recognize the dog, so we figured it wasn’t anyone’s who lives around Eric. 

Eric gave the dog (who we began calling “fuzzy butt”) a bath, but made only a dent in the dog’s dirtiness.

DSCN1100

DSCN1101

Cutie patootie….but we already have 3 dogs.  No more room in the inn.

We put fuzzy butt out in the backyard on a chain because there was no way we could let him around our dogs.  He was still dirty, had mats in his hair, and who knows if he was carrying any diseases.  I’m sure the pups would have all gotten along great, though!

After putting a post up on craigslist, I realized the local shelter was only open for 30 more minutes.  We booked it over there with fuzzy butt to see if he was chipped or if anyone had come looking for him.  No chips (and on top of that he wasn’t neutered…bad dog ownership!), sadly.  Because we couldn’t just leave fuzzy butt out on a chain all night, and we were going to be gone most of the day tomorrow, we had to leave him at the shelter.  They are going to hold him for 72 hours in case someone comes to claim him, then give him a temperament test.  If he passes that, he’ll be put up for adoption.  I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the little guy…he’d make a great pet!  Just not my pet :).

So, after all that excitement (and a 2 hour run/walk), I’m exhausted.  I’m going to figure out how to get where we’re going tomorrow, and then I believe it’s nap time.  I need sleep!

No comments: