Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Strength and a Run

I’ll be honest, back when I said that I was undertaking the 30 Day Shred:  Part 2, I made it two days before I left for vacation.  Since I left, I haven’t touched the 30 Day Shred DVD.  My training hours have picked up, weekends have been spent away from home, and I just haven’t felt like it.  So basically, all forms of strength training had ceased, which I am not happy with. 

DSCN1027

So, starting today, I’m throwing some strength training in my schedule, starting with two days a week.  Two days a week is better than nothing!  And to keep with the “less is more” theory, I’m only doing 10 minute strength training sessions.  I think that if I keep is short and sweet, I may be more likely to throw another session in during the week if time (and motivation) allows!

I set my Garmin for one minute intervals and got a good 10 minute, non-stop session in.  I just did things as they came to my mind (mostly borrowing from the 30 Day Shred DVD), but I did stick with doing one minute of an upper/lower body combo exercise followed by a minute of a focused, one-part body exercise.  I was sweating by the end and my muscles feel a little jello-y now!

Other 8-4-2009, Heart rate - Time

I figured out how to post fun graphs from my Garmin on to my blog!!! 

I was reading some triathlon blogs and came across DC Rainmaker’s.  On his blog, he strongly discouraged the use of Garmin Training Center (which is the free download that comes with your Garmin) and instead recommended using SportTracks, which is a free download online.  I’m happy with the download so far, especially because I can save graphs and upload them on to my blog!  Supposedly you can overlay your routes on to Google Earth, but I’m not quite there yet.  For now, I’m content just playing around with the charts and graphs.

After waiting around for a while for the stupid storm to pass, which seemed to never come, I decided to take a chance and head out for my 3 mile run.  I checked the radar and it appeared that the storm was moving super slow.  I figured I could get my run in before it hit, if it ever hit.  Because of being a little nervous about getting stuck in a storm, I started out a little faster than normal.

Running 8-4-2009, Pace - Time

The blue is my pace (you can definitely tell when I take my walk breaks!…I took one unscheduled walk about midway between 20:00 and 25:00.  I hit a hill and my legs just didn’t want to go up it so I walked for a few seconds.), the olive/brownish color is elevation, and the red is my heart rate.  Fun stuff, huh?

The run went well.  I barely beat the storm home, but I did it!  I hit just under an 8:00/mile pace right after 10:00.  My average pace was 10:10.  So, not quite as fast as yesterday, but today’s course had a lot more hills!  I tried to push the hills today and feel like I did pretty well.

After my run, I drank the last of my chocolate milk (need more..stat!) and then made myself a “crack wrap” for lunch.  I’ve been making these for a couple months now, and got the idea from Sarah’s blog.  Unfortunately, Sarah does not blog anymore, which is a bummer because her blog was great!  Anyways, I made myself one of her coined “crack wraps”, which is made by taking a flatout wrap, putting a good amount of hummus on it, and some cheese, wrapping it up and cooking it in a pan until all sides are browned.  I typically add some roasted red peppers to mine to get in some veggies (and since I love roasted red peppers!) because I have to get in my veggies any way I can.  The final result:

DSCN1030

Yum!

Now I’m showered and ready to relax!  The plan for the rest of today is to make a countdown to hang up in my office for my Half Ironman (I need some motivation while I’m sitting at work) and to start planning some fun things to do when Brooke and K8 come to visit this weekend!  I haven’t seen either of them since Brooke’s wedding last summer and I’m super excited! 

A nap might be thrown in the day as well.  When it’s rainy and gross outside, all I want to do is sleep!

No comments: