Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Slacker

Yup, I’m a slacker.  I made the decision to skip part of my scheduled workout today.  It’s possible that I would’ve had to skip it anyways because the pool probably isn’t open (the weather is gross outside), but I didn’t even drive by the pool to check it out.  I just decided not to swim today because I didn’t feel like it. 

Now don’t go thinking I’m a complete slacker!  I did get a run in today.  I was supposed to run 3 miles today, but I started to get a twinge in my knee where I had all the issues when I was training for my marathon so I decided not to push it.

Running 8-5-2009, Pace - Time

I ran for 29:29 and did 2.85 miles.  Not too bad, but not quite 3 miles.

I’m exhausted now for some reason!  I cleaned my apartment and did a short run…ugh, narcolepsy sucks.  For those of you that don’t know, I have been diagnosed with narcolepsy…although a pretty mild case of it.  No, I don’t fall asleep randomly like they depict on movies.  I’m just tired all the time and can fall asleep pretty easily at all points of the day, no matter how many hours I sleep at night.  I have been prescribed some medication (that is typically prescribed for ADHD), and it helps a ton, but it also costs money.  Since I don’t work during the summer and really don’t do much besides workout, I try not to take the medication much to save on cash.  When I work, I take the medicine so I can make it through the day. 

I was reading an interesting article in Runner’s World magazine about Tera Moody, a professional runner who suffers from insomnia.  She basically has the exact opposite of a problem that I do.  She is lucky if she gets 4-5 hours of sleep and often goes some nights with no sleep at all.  Plus she puts in 100-mile training weeks!  Insane!!  I wouldn’t be able to function at all if I didn’t get at least 7.5 hours of sleep every night…and that’s pushing it.  I typically need to go to bed at 9:00 on nights I work so I can get at least 8 hours in.  And that’s with taking medication. 

Don’t get me wrong, I know it could be worse.  I could have much worse narcolepsy and not be able to work out ever because of it.  But I am able to consistently work out and push my limits.  I can compete in marathons, half marathons, triathlons, and even hopefully an Ironman one day.  I may have to sacrifice some things in order to get the amount of sleep I need.  But I can still do all of these things and more. 

No comments: