Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Ironman…Louisville?

image

Maybe I’m delusional because I’ve been spoiled by the less-than-African temperatures this summer in Cincinnati, but I’m wondering if Ironman Louisville is a better option for me rather than Ironman Wisconsin.  I had to think for a second why I hadn’t thought of this idea originally, and I’m pretty sure it was because I wanted to avoid the late-August heat in Kentucky.  A little heat won’t kill me!  And there’s so many more positives about doing Ironman Louisville.  For starters, it’s soo much closer to Cincinnati than driving all the way up to Wisconsin.  That means I can get there earlier and have more time to relax and get myself ready.  Second, after checking the bike course’s elevation on mapmyride.com, the Louisville course is no harder than the Wisconsin course.

The one downside…I will not have a Half Ironman under my belt by the time I will need to make the decision of whether or not I want to do this.  The race is taking place on August 30th this year, which means online registration will start on August 31st. 

I think I should just go for it, bite the bullet, and sign up.  I think I would be much less stressed driving to Louisville rather than Wisconsin.  Plus, I can make some weekend trips while training and ride on the actual course and maybe even get a swim in the river.

So, I guess I should change the countdown on my blog.  And start a mental countdown to when I register for my Ironman experience 2010! 

1 comment:

Wes said...

One of the things you need to consider is the race course and the temperature at the time of the race. Louisville is hot. Wisconsin has more elevation change (I think). I did IM FL, and I was talking to some guy about it a while back, and he said, "Isn't that flat?" I said, "Yes, I wouldn't have it any other way!" :-)

In truth, what ever race you decide to do, you have a year to plan for it, and that's part of the fun!