I knew it was a bad decision the moment I said "Keifer, do you want to go on a run with mama?" and he flew towards the door. He was a little too excited. I was feeling bad though because I haven't taken Keifer on a run with me since who knows when...and although I've been spoiling him with lots of Nutmeg time, the boy needed to get outdoors for a while.
So, dog in tow, I set out for my morning run to make up for the 5 miles I skipped yesterday afternoon because of the heat.
Keifer definitely complicates things. He pulls, he tugs, he runs around in crazy circles. There were some squirrel sightings, which means him pulling me a few feet before I can reign his 60 lbs of pure muscle in. Luckily it was dark, so he missed quite a few rabbits and squirrels that had chasing potential.
I knew I was going much slower this morning than yesterday because I took the same route and my walking intervals were in locations just slightly behind where they were yesterday. I finished up a 4 mile run at an 11:38/mile pace....suuuuper slow. I had to make frequent stops to keep Keifer in check, but I truly think he enjoyed the exercise. I'll sacrifice my runs every now and then for his enjoyment.
When we got close to home, I let the retractable leash loose and he took off like a crazed animal, running circles around me as far as the leash would let him go.
So, I got the mileage in, but not at the pace I would've liked. The sacrifices I make for my dog-child!
After work today I'm heading to Eric's for a session on the bike trainer. Tomorrow we leave for Indianapolis!
No comments:
Post a Comment