Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Rest Day!

Today’s training calls for:  REST!

It’s a tough job, but somebody’s gotta do it.  So I’m putting all my energy today in to doing absolutely nothing (except maybe some packing for the trip).  Actually, this is what my day will be consumed with:

DSCN0854 I’m trying to get through the 6th Harry Potter book again before I go see the movie next week.  The ASL book is from when I took classes two years ago.  I’ve been wanting to review everything I learned and maybe look into taking classes again this year.  I took a whole year of classes, so there’s lots to review!!!  The third book is something that I would like to read before work starts in August, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I won’t crack that one today!  Too much thinking :).

Yesterday I completed my second “Long Swim” of the week.  The workout consisted of:

warm-up:  200 swim, 200 kick, 200 pull, 200 swim

main:  2 x 900, RPE 3

cool down:  4 x 50, each slower than the last

Total yardage:  2800 yards

It was a great workout!  I was worried I wouldn’t get it in because of the weather, but the rain stayed away and I got this all in within an hour.  The 900s felt strong, and the second one flew by!  I’m feeling confident in my swimming capabilities.

30 Day Shred:  Take 2

Ignore what I wrote in my 30 Day Shred recap…I’ve decided to give it another 30 days.  I just find it to be an easy way to get strength training in to my daily regimen.  I have decided to do 30 more days, and then I will be getting ready for my taper for the Great Illini Challenge, so I’ll discontinue any strength training for that period of time (except maybe some minor exercises).

Last night I had dinner with the girls.  It was great to get together while we’re all in town (summers are so crazy for us!) and catch up on everything.  I made them some Mexican Pizza (which Eric loves, so I figured it was a good option).  My friend Jennie became a vegetarian earlier this year, so it’s been a challenge and interesting to figure out vegetarian options to make for our get-togethers.  I’ve definitely expanded my cooking repertoire because of it! 

Along those lines, I reserved a couple books at the library to pick up about Flexitarianism.  I have been trying to incorporate more vegetarian meals in to my diet, and I’ve heard the word “flexitarianism” thrown around and I’m just interested in learning more about it.  From what I understand, flexitarianism is a way of eating where you eat mostly vegetarian meals but also incorporate meat into a small portion of your meals.  I don’t think I could ever give up meat, but I know veggies and fruits are very good for you…so why not make those the staples of your meals?  We’ll see what I learn.

Time to go rest up!  Let the laziness ensue :).

No comments: