Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My First Brick

“Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout, one after the other with minimal or no interruption in between, just as you would do in a race.” –from Beginnertriathlete.com

I’ve been doing triathlons since the summer of 2007 and not once have I done a brick workout.  The training plans I’ve used and looked at always include brick workouts, but I’ve just skipped over those days on my calendar.  There’s just something about doing basically two workouts one right after the other that doesn’t sit well with me.  Call me lazy or whatever else you want to call me.  But this morning, I sucked it up and followed my training schedule:

Brick workout:  60 minute bike (RPE 4) followed by 30 minute recovery run (RPE 2-3)

It actually wasn’t too bad!  I averaged about 15.3 mph on the bike and then did a 3ish mile run using my walk/run intervals.  I survived with some energy to spare! 

Tomorrow I’m doing another long swim, then Thursday is my first “Off” day for the week (Saturday is my next one)!  I can’t wait for a little R&R.  I think my body needs it.  I also think my body needs a nap, which I believe is going to occur this afternoon.

I went in to work today to pack all my stuff up.  It took me about 4 hours…so not too bad.  It’s all done and ready to be moved.  I got to see my new office today, and it was a little disappointing because I thought I was going to get a window and this office does not have one, and it seems a little smaller than my current office…but I can’t complain!  At least I have an office, which is something I didn’t have this whole year.  It will be nice to have a place for all of my things and to not have to carry a bag of stuff home with me every day from work!

I started getting all of my belongings organized for next week’s trip today.  I’m bringing lots of hiking clothes and running clothes and biking clothes.  There will be lots of physical activity on this trip…because that is basically all there is to do in Damascus, VA!  I’m all for it though…I like the idea of not coming home from vacation having gained 5 extra pounds.  Plus, I have a Half Ironman in less than 2 months!

Alright, time to go lay down, read a little Harry Potter, and eventually fall asleep for a napper!

No comments: