Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

So Frustrated!

I hate my left leg. Why does it have to do this to me? I tried running 4 miles with the group yesterday. I probably went out a little too fast and I paid for it dearly starting at mile 2.5. I finished the four miles, with a little walking interspersed, but I am so frustrated by this whole thing! I'm getting to the point of desperation. I had a little "PT consult" this morning with the PT at the preschool I work at. I had read some things about cortisone shots in the IT band, which can sometimes help release the tension and allow people some relief for a few days. I spoke with her about her thoughts on that, and she said she would probably go for it. So, I put a call in to my doctor to see if he would do it and I'm waiting to hear back from his nurse. If he says no, then I will beg my way into an orthopedic physician's office a few days before the marathon. I just want this one shot in hopes of keeping the pain at bay even a few miles longer. I will do anything at this point! I will probably pay dearly for it with a lot of soreness afterwards, but I will take months off from running to recover properly!

Another idea the PT had (which I'm not crazy about...but again, I will do anything) was to walk on the parts that I know cause the pain. So, in my case, it would be running up and down hills. Before the pain even has a chance to start, I just walk all the up and down hills, and run on the flats. I'm going to give it a try on Saturday for the 6 mile run and see how it works for me. I'm not crazy about the idea because it will drastically drop my finish time, but I guess it will at least give me a better chance of getting to the finish line as opposed to trying to run through the pain.

UGHHHHHH....I have the physical capability to run the whole thing, but one part of my body just won't let me!! I have never been so frustrated before in my entire life!

Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed that I can figure out a way to get this cortisone shot. I am running out of options!

No comments: