Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Saturday, April 25, 2009

3 miles...successful!

I ran 3 miles this morning with Keifer...no IT band pain. I went super slow...and walked the bigger hills. I think I should be fine with small up and down hills...it's the big ones that I'm going to just have to walk. But no IT band pain for 3 miles, so that's exciting! It's no 26.2 miles, but I'll take anything at this point. Maybe the anti-inflammatories are starting to kick in? Or maybe it's just because I was running pretty slow. I'd say I was going a 10 minute mile or more. I stopped a couple times to walk, either because it was a hill or Keifer was being difficult. It was pretty warm outside this morning (over 70 degrees already!), so he was moving pretty slow. But considering the temperature was that high and I felt ok at the pace I was running, I'm sure I was going slow. Heck, I don't care how slow I run....as long as I can run.

So, my mental preparation this week is going to involve constant reminders about not getting caught up in the "pack mentality" at the start of the race. I know they are going to have pace groups at the marathon...I think the Clif bar company sponsors it. But what it is is a runner volunteers to be a pace group leader, and they carry something with them to identify themselves and so that people who want to run that pace can find them. They will be at the Expo next weekend when I pick up my race packet, so I'm going to definitely speak to them. But my plan is to start the race behind the pace leader who is going to be running 10 minute miles (and I'm considering seeing if there is someone that runs a little slower than that and start behind them). But if they are planning to consistently run 10 minute miles, even at the start of the race, then I will just plan on staying behind them for a long time and always trying to keep them in my sight. I'm thinking maybe slower than a 10 minute mile would be best, since I will be doing some walking and I don't want the pressure of trying to catch up to a faster pace time.

10 minute miles would put me finishing in 4:22. That seems a little too fast maybe. 10.30 minutes have me finishing in 4:35. That, or even something slower might be my best option. I'll have to do some research to see what the pace options are. I believe they go up to a 5 hour marathon, and maybe higher. But anyways, I think following someone who has a set pace will help me stay slow at the beginning, when it is so hard to stay slow. Also, it will motivate me to walk fast when I'm going up and down those hills. And not to push it too hard when I start running again.

Really, I'd just like to finish under 5 hours. I know I probably shouldn't put a finishing time goal in my head, especially because I might not even have the opportunity to finish. But I can't help it. My main goal is to make it mile by mile, managing the pain to the best of my ability.

The race is one week from tomorrow! This time next week, I will be having major butterflies in my stomach and resting like it's nobody's business! I can't wait to see what I am capable of doing!

No comments: