Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Monday, April 27, 2009

The final countdown

6 days left until I step up to the unknown. I'm nervous...for a number of reasons. I'm nervous that my IT band is going to act up really early in the race (it's inevitable that it will act up at some point...the question is when?). I'm nervous that I'm not mentally ready for this race. I'm nervous that I might actually be able to run the whole thing! There's too many unknowns. But after Saturday's run, whcih gave me a boost of confidence that I so desperately needed, I am mentally preparing myself to run the whole race. That means mentally preparing myself for around 5 hours of physical exercise when the longest I've gone is under 4 hours.

I'm carbo loading this week...lots of pasta, rice, anything with carbs in it. I may be hurting and limping my way across that finish line...but I'll at least have enough carbs stored up in my body to do it!

The weather is looking perfect for race day. Lows in the upper 40s for the start of the race, and highs in the upper 60s. So, at least I have that going for me.

I'm going to the PT this afternoon for another torture session. The things I have done for this marathon. I've also been foam rolling like it's my second job. I will at least get to the starting line in one piece...and hopefully to the finish line as well. It would be a miracle!

I'm going to try to follow the training schedule for the first time since I became injured. That involves running 4 miles tomorrow, 3 miles Wednesday, resting on Thursday and Friday, and 2 miles on Saturday. Tomorrow's run may end up being just 3 miles, depending on how I feel at PT today, but that's close enough.

I'll provide lots of updates this week since it's down to the wire. I'm still taking the anti-inflammatories on a very consistent basis and I'm stretching, foam rolling, and icing twice a day.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

No comments: