Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Monday, March 2, 2009

Back on the running wagon!

Saturday was 100% better of a run than the week before! It was like I was a whole new runner. I was running a little over 10 minute miles. I was keeping up with people who are usually a good distance ahead of me. I just felt good. My legs didn't hurt much, at least until the very end...then they started to get a bit sore. But nothing like last week. Granted, the hills for this past run were not half as bad as the previous week's, but there were still hills (some of which required a little walking). It was just what I needed to get out of that mental slump. Unfortunately, the "coach" I was running with who was reading the course as we went along missed a turn, which cut out about a mile of the 12 mile run. So we didn't actually run 12 miles, but 11 is fine by me. One of the people I was running with was not a happy camper about that....he should've just went back out to run a mile. I was mentally done at that point, so there was no way I was heading back out. I finished in about 1 hour, 54 minutes....so I ran a mile more than last week, yet it took me the same amount of time.

I am now facing a personal mountain, of sorts. This Saturday I am scheduled to run 14 miles. I have never attempted 14 miles before. And to top it all off, I will be running it by myself. I have a training to go to on Saturday at 10:00 for a church thing, which doesn't give me enough time to get the group run in if I start at 7:30. I would like to take a shower before I go to this thing....I wouldn't want to offend anyone with my stench :). So, I'm planning on waking up super early on Saturday morning and starting my run at about 6:00 a.m. I'm crazy, I know. But the weather is supposed to be warm on Saturday, so maybe it will be better for me to get out early before it gets too warm for my tastes. I would try to talk Eric into riding on his bike with me, but it will be dark and he doesn't have any lights for his bike. We'll see...maybe we can work something out so he can come with and keep me going. 14 miles by myself seems a little daunting. I'm going to do a similar course to the one we just did on Saturday, just so I know where I am going. I've added a little bit on to it and left out the part that we skipped on Saturday, since I'm not really sure what that was. But I will be doing 14 miles. And I will like it. Riiiight.

It appears that this week I will be doing zero runs with the group. It will kind of be my test to see if this is something I can do on my own in the future. My mom is coming into town tomorrow, so I'm doing my run right after work. Thursday is Lost night with Eric, so I will again be running right after work. And Saturday I'm running by myself. It should be interesting. The rest of my long runs will be with the group, for sure. 16, 18, and 20 miles seems a little insane to be just listening to the little voice in my head telling me to walk. I need distractions around me, such as people ahead of me that I can try to catch.

It's going to be a good week for running....I'm thinking positive thoughts! It seemed to work on Saturday :).

No comments: