Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Friday, February 27, 2009

The doubt is creeping in...

I'm having a mental breakdown this week in terms of what my abilities are. Both days I've run this week have been bad and thoughts of "I can't run a marathon!" have consumed my head. I ran yesterday...but probably only 3.5 miles. My legs were tired, I was tired, and it was humid (yuck). I'm glad I got something in, but it wasn't 5 miles, that's for sure. I'm just doubting my ability to do this....which I know is a bad thing at this point in my training. I'm halfway done. Everything was going fine until last weekend. I think that run last Saturday just psyched me out. I need to start using my sports background to my advantage....I know all about visualizing and thinking positively and setting goals. Why am I having such a hard time with this? As Eric told me last night when I informed him of my doubts: "You knew this wasn't going to be easy." I DID know that..but I also didn't think it would be this hard mentally.

Ok, enough of the pity party for myself. I'm thinking positive thoughts.....I will run 12 miles tomorrow and I will feel good while doing it. I may need to go slow, and even walk at times, but I will finish it with a smile on my face. I am stretching every day now so my muscles can recover and be at their best when they are asked to perform.

12 miles....that should take me about 2 hours to 2 hours, 10 minutes. One mile short of a half marathon. Sheesh.

I've been thinking about what I might like to do after I take on this marathon. I enjoy running, and I enjoy training for things....so I'm thinking maybe half-marathons are a better fit for me. If I was running a half marathon, I'd only be taking on 7 miles this weekend. 7 sounds much better than 12. But I'll focus on my full marathon for now and worry about what to take on next after I've completed the marathon.

Here's to thinking positive thoughts and running 12 miles....

No comments: