Saturday was not fun in the least bit. I didn't end up making up my Thursday run because I felt sick on Friday and figured it was best to just rest so I could run Saturday. I felt fine when I woke up on Saturday, but the run was awful. We met at the Boathouse downtown and I knew I was in trouble when I saw the course for the 10 miler. We ran up to Eden Park, which is the worst part of the course. I knew what I was up against since it is also part of the half-marathon course. It is basically a 2 mile long hill. You never have a chance to catch your breath, which forces me to take walking breaks because I can't run when I can't breathe. I just felt tired right from the start of the run. And then after "conquering" the hill of death (as it will now be refered to as), my legs became extremely mad at me. My inner thighs were the first problem. I had a tough time just lifting my legs off the ground because each step was painful. Then, as time went on, my knees started to hate me. So we ran up the hill and back down the hill (that was the best part of the run, by far!) and back to the Boathouse for a water break, then back out in the opposite direction along Eastern Ave. for 2 miles out and 2 miles back on the marathon course. It was pretty flat which some minor hills. But at that point, my legs made it feel like they were super hills. Those last 4 miles were painful. I didn't think I was going to make it. Karen C. ran pretty much all of those last 4 miles with me. I normally hate having someone "cheering me on" constantly, but she helped me through it. I picked up some pointers as well: If my legs hurt, focus on relaxing my arms which will help take my mind off the pain. When you get to the top of a hill, focus on getting your stride back to normal which will help you get your breath back to normal as well. I also now have an idea of why people express their dislike with that portion of the course. There is nothing to look at and it's drab and boring. Add that to the fact that it is at the end of the race when things are toughest, and you have an awful portion of the course, mentally. Karen recommended having people at that point to cheer you on because the cheering sections are limited. I'll have to get that into the bike route.
But I survived and ran the whole thing. I finished in about 1 hour, 50 minutes, which comes out to about 11 minute miles. Pretty bad. I think if I would've gotten my run in on Thursday the outcome of Saturday's run would've been much different. I now know that skipping runs shouldn't be an option anymore. I have just over 2 months left. 3 runs a week isn't asking much! I don't want to go through what I went through on Saturday again.
This Saturday is a 12-mile run. I am not looking forward to it and I think I have mentally freaked myself out after the 10-miler. I just need to get over it. The runs won't all be like that. And you know, if I have to run 11 minute miles again to finish, then so be it. I just want to finish. Running slow is nothing to be ashamed of...as long as you are running!
Thinking positive thoughts going into an almost-half-marathon! There's no turning back now!
No comments:
Post a Comment