Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Ice Bath!

I wanted to do a post on ice baths because it came up in conversation the other weekend and I wanted some visual proof of the torture I put myself through for the sake of leg recovery.  But let’s rewind for a second. 

DSCN1498

I set out for a run once the rain stopped this morning.  The TV says it was only 83 with 60% humidity, but boy, did it feel much more hot and humid outside!  I was drenched in sweat less than halfway through the run. 

Upon doing some online searching, I discovered that Hamilton, OH has an approximately 5 mile trail that runs along the Great Miami River (the same river I will be riding next to tomorrow on my bike ride).  The trail will eventually connect to the trail that I will be riding on tomorrow, but for now it is it’s own little segment.   

image

The majority of the trail was in the bright, beating sun, although the small segments that were in the shade were much appreciated.  I started the run doing 4 minutes of running alternating with 1 minute of walking.  At the halfway point I wasn’t feeling so hot, and started doing 2 minutes of walking with 3 minutes of running.  Then with a couple miles left in my run, I started doing 2.5 minutes walking with 2.5 minutes running.  My body is not used to the heat and humidity, and I struggled with some stomach issues (although nothing major).  I was happy to just get through the mileage and not worry about my pace.

DSCN1476

Much slower than usual, but I finished, nonetheless!

I had brought my hydration belt with me, and thank goodness I did!  I drank three bottles worth of water while I was out, and I ran out before the end.  Note to self:  bring more water!

2010-06-19 11.35.28

Towards the end of my run my feet and calves started to hurt, and I knew it was a day for an ice bath so I could recover before my long bike ride tomorrow.  So, without further ado, how to take an ice bath:

Go to your local convenience store/gas station and pick up a large bag of ice as well as your favorite sports drink, or in my case, your second favorite sports drink since they have run out of your favorite (my fave is grape!). 

DSCN1473

Once you get home, head to the nearest bathtub, throw on some bikini bottoms and start filling up the tub with cold water.DSCN1482

While the tub is filling up, grab your chosen drink, a watch, and a magazine (although I was never able to open said magazine…but some people might be able to).

DSCN1483

Once the tub has filled up where it will cover your legs when you sit in it, add the bag of ice.  Brrr!

DSCN1484

Hop in to that tub and hopefully the water/ice will cover all of your legs (in my case, some water leaked down the drain so I didn’t get them all in there – but good enough because I wanted my feet, knees, and calves covered!).  Yes, it will be incredibly cold and rather painful.  But you can do it!DSCN1486

Once your in, start your timer.  You’re shooting for 10 minutes – but just try to make it as long as possible!

DSCN1487

Console your whining dog who is confused as to what you are doing and thinks you are playing a trick on him by putting all the delicious ice cubes in the tub with water.

DSCN1489

Soon enough you will be halfway done!  At this point your legs have gone pretty numb.  Keep fighting through it!

DSCN1490

Soon enough you’ll be ready to start the 10 second countdown…9….8….

DSCN1494

And once 10 minutes are up, hop out!

DSCN1496

Then admire your beautiful pink legs before taking a warm shower so you’re not freezing your tush off anymore!

DSCN1497 

These ice baths really do aid in recovery – my legs feel tired, but no soreness whatsoever.  I will continue to do them as much as possible throughout the rest of my training.  It’s so worth the pain for 10 minutes in order for your legs to feel good the rest of the day into the next.  My legs have to be ready to go for tomorrow’s long ride!

No comments: