Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Eve of the Eve

It’s the eve of the eve of my race.  Bring it on!  I think I’m ready.  I’m focused on having a good time, and that’s all that matters.  I want to come out of this race with positive thoughts.  I want to enjoy my time out there.  I want to relish in all the work I’ve put in over the past few months. 

I’m busy tonight.  I’ve been baking for this thing at work tomorrow that I’m in charge of, even though I’m leaving an hour or two after I get there (I took a personal day).  I’ve been packing up myself and the dogs.  Now I just need to put everything in to the car tonight that I can and get the rest in tomorrow morning before work. 

And I can’t forget my bike!  That would be bad.

I’m nervous (a little).  I’m apprehensive.  I’m excited.  I’m relieved.  I’m indifferent.  I’m just a lot of everything.  Again, my goal is to have a positive experience.  Nothing more, nothing less.

And there’s still openings for Ironman Louisville.

And someone found a plan that prides itself on being “minimalist” with a typical week of 12 hours of workouts and the highest being 16.  I was doing 8 hours per week of workouts with my Half Ironman….I think I can spare 4 more on more weeks and suffer through the 16 hour weeks.

I’ve been thinking about how I was resenting my training last week and I quickly threw my Ironman hopes out the window.  I’ve now come to terms with my emotions last week and I feel like it’s a normal thing that most people probably go through.  Everyone probably doesn’t look forward to their training at some points and just wants to be done.  You put so much time and energy into something over such a long period of time and you have nothing to show for it.  You just want to do the event so you can say you did it.  Now I know that it’s a normal emotion to have and I’ll know how to deal with it next time.

If there is a next time.

Right now, I’m just focused on a Half Ironman.  You won’t be hearing back from me until after the fact.  I’ll have plenty of pictures to share, courteous of Eric.  I’m going to have a little cheering squad there…Eric, mom, dad, Nutmeg, and Keifer.  It’s a party!

Hopefully next time you hear from me I’ll be  Half Ironman!  On second thought, I will be a Half Ironman when you hear from me next!!!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Can't wait to hear all about it! Don't think about the Ironman when doing your half. One step at a time. After my first half, I thought I could never do the full. Then, I signed up. I still thought I couldn't do it. You'll do great. You'll be more than ready.