Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Monday, September 28, 2009

Bouncing Back

I decided to leave my couch potato status behind yesterday and head out for a run.  The weather was almost perfect (just a little warm for my tastes) with temps in the upper 60s and clouds in the sky.  I love running in the fall! 

I was feeling good on this run!  My training schedule called for an 8 mile run…but in true slacker style, I ended up doing 7.5 miles.  Nevertheless, they were some fast miles (for me at least), finishing up with an average of 9:54/mile…and that’s including the walking intervals every four minutes!  I was bookin’ it on the run intervals.  It felt good…and I didn’t feel like I was killing myself doing it.  Maybe my chances of PRing the half marathon are realistic. 

My current PR (and only attempt) for the half marathon is 2:09:54.  I averaged 9:51/mile.  That half marathon was the Flying Pig Half, which is pretty hilly.  Running downhill with three miles to go I got a horrible cramp in my thighs, which forced me to stop and stretch for a bit.  I now know what I did wrong and I have a lot more running experience under my belt. 

The fact that I ran a half marathon at the end of a Half Ironman in 2:17:05 just shows me that I have a lot more in me than I did last time around.  Will I break 2 hours….doubtful.  But I’ll try my darndest to come close!  I’ll just keep pushing it on my runs…and get my speed up.

Heck, as long as I break 2:09 I’ll be happy!

No comments: