Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Friday, July 31, 2009

I’m So Excited…And I Just Can’t Hide It…

Ta-da!!!

DSCN0954

I am the proud owner of a Garmin + Heart Rate monitor!!!

This thing is awesome.  I just went through the owner’s manual to learn more about it and there’s just so many functions, I don’t even know what to do with myself!

Back up a couple hours…I had just gotten off work and arrived home.  I packed some stuff up to get ready to move in to my new office on Monday at work.  I hopped in my car to head up to Eric’s for dinner and received a phone call from Fleet Feet saying they had a Garmin 310XT with a heart rate monitor if I wanted it.  I immediately headed over to the store and bought the thing. 

It’s everything I could’ve hoped for and more!

It has an interval function, which is wonderful since my Gymboss decided to poop out on me 1.5 hours in to my long run the other day.

DSCN0956

Stupid thing.  It was good while it lasted though.  But now I have Mr. Garmin to help me out!!!

I already tested out the heart rate monitor and found my resting heart rate (61 bpm…not too shabby!). 

My Garmin has multisport functions so I can switch from running to biking.  Unfortunately, it says that I can only time my swims.  It may not produce an accurate measurement of distance.

It has a map function so I can pick a location that I want to return to and it will help me find my way back (it’s a pretty simple map, so I doubt I’ll use it…but still!). 

After a workout, I simply have to walk within 5 meters of my computer if the USB is plugged in and it will suck all the data off my Garmin and put it online in an organized fashion to view…average speed, heart rate, distance, a map of what I ran/rode, etc.  I can’t wait to try it out tomorrow on our 40 mile bike ride!  I’m giddy with excitement!

Also today, Eric set up my bike trainer today just to make sure it was in proper working order.

DSCN0957 It’s home is going to be in the kitchen for now…so I can ride and watch TV at the same time.  I discovered that my aero bars are set up in a way that provides a really good book rest, so reading might be taking place as well.  I won’t be giving the bike trainer a spin until Tuesday, but I will surely report back on it!

To close..some close-ups of my new baby

DSCN0958

Charging up for tomorrow.  Yes, it’s rather large…and looks a little ridiculous on my wrist.  But I’ll take the odd looks for all the fun info I’m about to get!

DSCN0959

Keifer doesn’t really like the watch.  I think it’s because it vibrates really loud, which is freaking him out. 

No comments: