Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Monday, May 11, 2009

I've Got the Itch...The Running Itch

I am DYING to get outside for a run. I'm tired of all of this walking stuff.....give me a 10 minute mile for 3-4 miles and I would be happy as a clam at the bottom of the ocean. It's funny....I don't love running so much, but when I am unable to do it because of injury, it makes me miss it a lot! I don't want to push it with the injury and all, but I'm thinking a mile run sandwiched between 2 miles of walking wouldn't be so bad. I'll take it slow....say, an 11 minute mile. I just want to run!!!

I'm planning on going in to the running store this weekend to see if I truly have the right kind of shoes. When I first started seeing the PT, he told me that he would like to see me in a motion-control type of shoe. I've always worn neutral running shoes, and didn't really think much of it. But I figure I might as well go in and have the shoe people look at me again. If they still think the neutral shoe is the way for me to go, then I don't have to get new shoes. But if I need something different that could potentially help with my IT band syndrome, then I will be more than willing to buy it!

My knee is feeling good today. It differs day to day though. Some days my knee just doesn't feel right, and other days it feels fine. I'm starting to do some lower body weight lifting (as well as upper body), to target my hips and quads. I'm still foam rolling every day as well as stretching. Hopefully I can get back out on the running road in a few weeks from now!

The weight loss is going well. I lost 5 lbs. last week, which is surprising considering my physical activity was reduced ten-fold from before the marathon. I am watching what I eat big time, and I think that is what is doing the trick. I'm hoping for another big loss this week. If I could lose 10 lbs. from my starting weight before I start running again, that would be great. If I continue to watch what I eat carefully, and then incorporate running in the mix, then the weight should just melt off. That's my hope at least. The goal of being 25 lbs. lighter come marathon time in November is very much a possibility! I just have to stay focused.

No comments: