Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Sunday, April 5, 2009

There has been lots of crying in the past two days....

I only made it 15 miles yesterday. And that was about 8 miles longer than I should've gone. I don't know what happened, or when it exactly started to happen, but my left knee is in serious pain. It felt like someone was stabbing me just to the upper left of my knee cap. It hurt the worst running up hills, so I would walk...but when I would start running again, the pain would be even worse, even if the ground was flat. I was picked up just after mile 15 and driven back to the start/finish where there were some physical therapists there doing free stretching/injury assessments. I was told the wait would be 15 minutes...45 minutes later, after sitting there trying to hold back the tears that I had already let flow at least 3 times, I finally got to see one of the physical therapists. He said it's a good sign that I have no swelling, it doesn't hurt when I'm not running (my knee hurt pretty bad after the mini last weekend, but I took some Ibuprofen and didn't think much of it because it didn't hurt the rest of the week), and it only hurts on one side. He only had a few minutes to look at me (that's why it's free!), so he told me that I need to go in to one of their offices for a one-hour appointment so they can take a better look at me. His preliminary diagnosis (granted, he only saw me for a few minutes..and he made sure to point that out when telling me this) was that my foot is probably pronating and my knee cap is compensating by pushing out to the side and knocking up against one of my bones, which is causing the sharp pain. He said this is easily addressed by simply taping my foot in a certain way so I don't pronate any more, or getting an orthotic. The office opens at 7 a.m. tomorrow and I'm going to get a call in when they open and hopefully they can get me in sometime tomorrow. I need to be at work for something at 11:15, but I'm fine with taking a half sick day so I can get in when they have openings. I have one month until the marathon...the PT I saw was very hopeful about getting me back out there to run (with no pain) asap! For now, I'm supposed to ice every day and stretch 2-3 times per day.

I really can't write about how upset I am because I will probably start crying. It's hard to talk about without doing so. So, maybe I will save all of that emotional stuff when I know I'm going to be ok and I can reminisce about my many breakdowns and thoughts running through my head without crying like a baby. Let's just say I have a mix of scared, angry, frustrated, and nervous feelings running through me right now.

Hopefully I will get in to see the PT tomorrow. I can't go another day without a game plan. I feel like every day that slips by is even more of a chance that I won't be able to finish the marathon.

Ugh...I had so much energy yesterday and I could've easily completed those 20 miles! My knee just wouldn't work with me though. So frustrating!!!

No comments: