Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Monday, March 23, 2009

Imagine what you can do with 3 hours...

Now imagine me running during that whole time. That's what I did on Saturday. 18 miles, down in the record books. It took me 2 hours, 56 minutes...which, if you do the math, means I ran under 10 minute miles! I was booking it at the beginning, and I paid for it dearly at the end. I had to walk a little of the last mile, mostly because my achilles tendon felt so tight that I was afraid it was going to snap. I'm sure it wouldn't have snapped, but I didn't want to take any chances. I've never had a muscle feel that tight before. It was not a pleasant feeling at the end of an 18 mile run. Other than that, my knees hurt a little bit towards the end, and I had some other random pains...but if I consciously stopped thinking about the pain, it usually went away.

Saturday afternoon was rough. I tried to take a nap during the day on Saturday, but I was having a hard time falling asleep. I mostly just zoned out while laying in bed. So I gave up and got ready to go run some errands and go out to eat with Eric. As we were driving around, my head started to hurt. It felt like I had been at an amusement park all day riding roller coasters, or like I had been water skiing and fell a bunch of times...if that makes any sense. My head just felt jarred. I think it may have been due to the sunshine that morning and into the afternoon. I went to bed pretty early that night and felt fine the next day. My legs are still a little sore...but not bad at all. I got a good stretch in this morning, so hopefully that will help.

This week should be pretty easy, and I'm looking forward to that! Tomorrow we're supposed to be doing our mile assessment again at the track. I think I'll run with the group because of that. We'll see if I've made any progress since the beginning of the training program. Who knows with me and those mile runs, though. They're much more difficult than going out for a long run...at least for me. Thursday I'll run 5 miles. Saturday I just have to run 4 miles, and then Sunday is the Mini Marathon...9.3 miles. That should be pretty easy...especially because there will be lots of people there for it. Hopefully this easy week will help me prepare for the 20 mile run the following Saturday! After the past few long runs, I've felt like I could keep going for a little bit more...but after this past long run, there was no way I could've kept going! So I'm hoping with the extra rest, my body will cooperate for the 20 miler. I think we do an off-site run for the 20, so a change of scenery should be nice. I'm just hoping the hills aren't too bad. I guess it prepares me for race day though, so I shouldn't complain. I'll just fight my way through it.

It's almost taper time! Yippee!

No comments: