Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bad memories of Junior High Cross Country

Last night's group run was awful! I think I'm just going to do all my weekly runs on my own from now on. They're trying to get us to do a bunch of fancy stuff and I just don't enjoy things like that. It makes me think back to awful times in junior high cross county, which I hated (obviously).

Anyways, we were told that we would be doing Indian Style runs....bleq. We were supposed to get into a group with the people we typically run around, which for me is typically no one at the 5 mile mark. Throw a 10 mile run in and I usually catch up to people around mile 7...but the 5 mile runs, those people go too fast for me. But I though I'd be ok running with them last night. Bad idea. Not only did they all go even faster than they typically do (we were running 9 minute miles to start off last night because everyone was running crazy fast), but it was over 70 degrees and humid outside (my body hates running in humidity and heat). I made it 1.25 miles and had to walk because I had a horrible side-stitch that made me feel like I was going to puke. I ran .75 miles slowly and then ran back to the store. So, I got a total of 3 miles in (supposed to have been 5), and I was so embarassed for quitting that I jumped in my car and left before anyone else got back. I'm planning on making up the extra 2 miles this afternoon.

Why did they have to get all fancy shmancy with the running lately? I am perfectly happy just doing boring 5 mile runs on my Tuesdays and Thursdays. Now they're throwing in awful cross country things that make me sick to my stomach. I know speed work and such is supposed to make you better...but honestly, I don't care about getting better...I just care about finishing. Is speed work more likely to get you to the finish line? I don't know...this is something I need to research. If it doesn't matter, then I will for sure be running on Tuesdays and Thursdays on my own. It's things like yesterday that make me hate running...it takes all the joy out of it because it doesn't let me think about random things...I am actually just consumed with thoughts about how much I hate running. I can't have that, especially at this point in my training.

So I'm running 2 miles today and then 5 miles on my own tomorrow. And I'm perfectly ok with that. I'll save the group runs for Saturday. 16 miles this Saturday!

Just get me to the finish line....

No comments: