Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Down Day...

Yesterday's run went no-so-well. I mentioned how Keifer was crazy during our run on Sunday....well, Keifer was EXTRA crazy during our run yesterday. He freaks me out because he's been known to suprise me which causes me to lose control of his leash. Luckily this hasn't happened for quite a long time because I'm extra careful about it now, but I still get super freaked out when he darts back and forth during an afternoon run when the traffic is awful. I have no doubt that he would run straight into oncoming traffic if given the opportunity. So I think, in order to avoid the responsibility for my dog's death, I am going to have to limit my runs to the morning hours when it is dark and there is less traffic. Unfortunately, this means I need to suck it up when it comes to waking up and immediately going out in to the cold. So, tomorrow morning, I am going to muster the courage and motivation to run in the morning....my dog's life depends on it!

Today is a "down day" in my training. I'm heading to the gym to lift weights and do 30 minutes of cross-training. I think today I will do bis, tris, and legs. I haven't been to the gym in ages. I have a gym membership, might as well use it! My mission right now is to lose some weight, which will in turn make running long distances easier on my body. The less weight you are carrying, the less impact on your legs. So, slowly, I am going to work off the pounds that I have put on since adopting the little dog of mine. Keifer's first 4 months of life definitely put a kink into my work out regimen. But it's getting better with the cooler weather.

I created myself a training schedule for the Thanksgiving Day 10K. It's not 100% gauranteed that I can do it, but I should know in the next couple days once Thanksgiving plans have been hashed out. I really want to do this run, for the sake of building a base for my marathon training. Plus, part of the 10K is run on the course for the marathon. Granted, I already ran this part during the half-marathon...but it can't hurt to do it again!

So, here's a breakdown of my training plan for the next month:

Mondays: 3 mile run
Tuesdays: Weights and 30 min. cross train
Wednesdays: 3 mile run
Thursdays: Weights
Fridays: Cross train
Saturdays: Long runs (detailed below)
Sundays: Weights

The long runs are as follows-
November 1: 4 miles
November 8: 4.5 miles
November 15: 5 miles
November 22: 5.5 miles

Then the race is on November 27th! The week of the race I will do 2 mile runs on Monday and Tuesday and then rest on Wednesday. I think it's a pretty good, feasible plan. If I miss out on some weights sessions, that's ok...it's hard to get to the gym with my schedule and the location of the gym with respects to work and home. Maybe if I miss the gym I'll substitute my pilates DVD instead. At least it's something! I might try doing my Pilates DVD in addition to some days as well. God knows my core could use some work!

Keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow's morning run goes well....

No comments: