Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Monday, February 15, 2010

Go Away Snow!

There’s so much snow outside!  School is already called off for tomorrow, and since I got all my work done today at Panera, it looks like I get the day completely off!  I didn’t get as much activity in today as I had hoped, but I got a good amount in.

My workouts looked like…

image

Only 28 weeks until Ironman!  Eeeek!

I rode for about 65 minutes for a total of 14ish miles.  I don’t tend to keep that close of an eye on my mileage when I’m doing so many different intervals and drills.

Tomorrow I have another bike on the schedule and hopefully I’ll be able to get to the gym for a run.

I had a little spare time to figure out my official training plan.  I will be making some changes to my training plan online to reflect the plan I’ve decided to go with.  My new plan aligns pretty well with my vacations and some races I want to participate in throughout the summer.  I am going to be using the plan from Start to Finish:  Ironman Training.  With that training plan there is two days of weight training involved.  The book maps out a weight training plan and I wanted to go into a little more detail on that below.  So, without further ado…..

Weight Training Plan

Each period of training has a specific weight training regimen that goes along with it.  These periods and what they look like in terms of weight lifting are:

Weeks 1 – 6          Light weights; start with 1 x 10 working up to 3 x 15

Weeks 7 – 12      Medium weights; 3 x 15

Weeks 13 – 16    1/2 Heavy weights; 2-3 x 4-8

                                 1/2 Medium weights; 2-3 x 15

Weeks 17 – 20    Light weights; 2 x 10-12 (no leg exercises!)

The exercises are, in this order:

*1.  Warm up 10-15 min

2.  Total Body warm-up (described in book)

*3.  Robot arms (described in book)

*4.  Squats/leg press

*5.  Lat pull down

*6.  Leg extension

*7.  Bench press

*8.  Leg curl

*9.  Dumbbell pullover

10.  Walking or reverse lunges

11.  Seated/upright rows

12.  Straight bicep curls

13.  Calf raises

14.  Supinated bicep curls

15.  Anterior tibs

16.  Tricep extensions, with rope or kick backs

17.  Lateral raises

18.  Standing abduction and adduction

*19.  Back extension

*20.  Abdominals

*21.  Press-ups

*22.  Stretch

* Do these exercises only if you are pressed for time.

I’m going to give the strength training plan a spin tomorrow if I can make it to the gym!  I’m going to start with 1 x 10 of each exercise.    I’ll let you know how it goes!

No comments: