I had my first post-race massage today and it was great. Well, not so great during the massage, because I definitely had some kinks to work out…but I feel great now!
I’ve had one massage before, while I was in college. It was a birthday present and it left me with a horrible headache.
Today’s had a specific purpose in mind…work out the soreness in my shoulders, lower back, and thighs. The masseuse couldn’t get all the kinks out in my shoulders, but she did wonders in getting most of the soreness out.
The masseuse commented at one point that she could tell I didn’t stretch much, especially my back. She said I had a lot of toxin buildup in my muscles, which could be alleviated by stretching. She also recommended that I start using epsom salt baths to help alleviate the pain I experience in my legs (hello, IT-band syndrome!).
So, I have some new goals for the upcoming year (because my year started back on August 30….365 days until Ironman Louisville):
1. Stretch my entire body more often…..at least 4 times per week, preferably more.
2. Foam roll my legs at least 4-5 times per week…because I’ve been getting off track with this one.
3. Try out epsom salt baths. I’ve never used epsom salts, nor do I ever take baths, so I’m just going to make myself try it once and see how I like it. Maybe I’ll add this more consistently into my plan!
But overall I’m really happy with my massage purchase. It definitely did the trick!
I’m going to be trying out a short run tomorrow, so we’ll see how it goes. I’m feeling good and ready for some exercise !
No comments:
Post a Comment