Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Friday, July 24, 2009

Damascus Vacation- Days 6 and 7

Unfortunately this post will not be much fun…my camera was on “fan duty” yesterday to try to dry it out so no pictures were taken.  It appears that my camera is not completely broken because it turns on and takes pictures.  It just seems to have a little water in the screen area so what I see when I take a picture isn’t the best.  Eric rigged up a way to hang my camera in front of a fan to dry all yesterday. As long as the camera still works, I don’t care what the screen looks like.  It looks as though my camera will be back in commission this weekend, so pictures will be taken and put on the blog!

Anyways, Day 6 (Thursday) in Damascus began with a 30 minute bike ride and a 45 minute run.  Eric and I found a road that was relatively flat with little traffic and ran along side a river, which was very peaceful.  Perfect environment for my 45 minute run!  After the workout, we headed back to the house and put on our hiking clothes for our last day of hiking.  The family decided to take it relatively easy since we were all pretty worn out from the 11 mile hike the day before.  We headed back to Grayson Highlands State Park and did a couple hike loops that added up to 4.2 miles.  One of the hikes involved 2 amazing overlooks, one of which we ate lunch on top of (wish my camera would’ve been with me!) and another hike had a waterfall which was awesome as well.  The hike may have been the shortest of all the ones we did while in Virginia, but it rated second on my list of the hikes we did (with the 11 mile hike being #1).

After our hike we headed back to the house to get ready for our “nice” dinner out.  We always go out to eat one night at a local establishment for a nicer dinner.  We headed in to Abingdon, VA (very cute town!) and went to Withers Hardware Restaurant.  Overall, I felt that the food was bland and waaay overpriced!  It left a lot to be desired, we’ll just leave it at that.  We were going to get dessert there, but we were so disappointed by our meals that we decided to head back to Damascus and go to the ice cream shop.  By the time we got there (at 7:35 p.m.) it was closed!  We tried another ice cream place and it was closed too.  Crazy.  So we went to the grocery store and got our own fixins’ for ice cream sundaes.  Yum yum!

This morning (Day 7 of Damascus Vacation) was filled with a 90 minute run (piece of cake!) which started at 6:00 a.m.  Eric followed me on bike to make sure no Creepers got me on the Creeper Trail.  We ended up back on the same road I ran on the day before and just went farther up.  It ended up being a very nice run.  After we returned, we showered and finished packing up before hitting the road.  6 hours later, we were back in Cincinnati!

Now I’m just getting some laundry done and packing up to leave again early tomorrow morning.  Eric and I are heading up to Centerville to help his parents move and then we are planning on doing the Annie Oakley Ride on Sunday.  The ride is a 62 mile ride on relatively flat roads.  We did the ride last year, and I believe we completed the 62 mile ride.  The weather was a whole different ball game last year.  I believe it was about 95 degrees, windy, and very sunny outside, which made for a difficult ride.  Right now, the weather is calling for isolated thunderstorms (30% chance of precip.) and a high of 79 degrees.  Is this really the end of July????  I love the weather this summer!

Anyways, we’re doing the ride on Sunday morning and then heading back to town for good.  No more vacations this summer.  I’ll be doing some traveling for triathlons and such, but nothing longer than a weekend.  Work is staring me in the face (I start next week), and I’m getting nervous to start my new position at the high school.  For now, I’ll focus on the time I have left.  My training hours are starting to pick up and that is my main focus now.  I have a Half Ironman in almost one month!

Have a great weekend, everyone!  I’ll be back to post on Sunday.

No comments: