Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Damascus Vacation- Day 3 (And a Shoutout!)

Yesterday was another good day on the Damascus family (with Eric and dogs) vacation! 

We decided to make up for our directionally-challenged snafu yesterday (heading the wrong way on the AT) and do the hike that we had planned to do.  The hike was a 5.6 mile hike from Damascus to a place on the trail called Straight Branch, where we arranged a van to pick us up and drive us back in to town.  The hike was good, although it did start raining while we were out in the woods.  We got wet, but not as much as we could’ve if the trees hadn’t been there!

On today’s hike, there was a fun overlook, which Eric was excited about since the hike we did the day before had no overlooks at all.

DSCN0881

Not the best picture or best view…but it was really foggy and it started to rain right after I took this picture, so there were definitely a lot of clouds in the area.

We also came along a snail on a tree.

DSCN0885

About half way through our hike, we came along a sign that indicated that we were truly going the correct way this time!

DSCN0883

At the end of our hike, we thought we had arrived at our pick-up point and waited there for our van to arrive.  Then we saw it drive right past us and we realized that we, in fact, were not quite to our pick-up point.  Eric and I started running the 1/4 of a mile down the road to where the van was waiting for us, and luckily we made it before he left without us.  We all hopped in (Keifer included) and headed back in to town. 

Yesterday afternoon involved some relaxing and then a steak dinner (yummy)! 

Unfortunately, I think swimming is definitely out for the week.  I don’t even think the pool opened yesterday due to the storms.  Today my training plan calls for a swim/bike brick and a run.  I’m going to get the run in this morning.  The swim isn’t going to happen and we are renting mountain bikes for four hours to ride the Virginia Creeper Trail today, so I’m going to consider that my bike.  It’s not exactly the same, but at least it’s some form of biking.  I can’t do it all!

When I get back home next week I’m going to have to hit the pool hard.  Everything else I think will be fine.  Lucky for me, swimming is the least of my concerns!

Before I go, I wanted to wish my best friend Brooke a very Happy 26th Birthday!  Brooke and I have known each other since college and now we live far apart (with me being in Cincinnati and her in Chicago).  I miss her every day and wish I could be there to celebrate the big day with her!  Happy Birthday Brookey!

No comments: