Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Eve of the First Bike “Race” of the Summer

Tomorrow is Ride Cincinnati.  Hopefully 45.2 miles of riding!  I had some minor technical difficulties with my bike that Eric discovered this evening, and I’ll get to that later.

But we’ll start with the morning.

DSCN0571

Breakfast was a Bacon and Feta Quiche from Trader Joe’s as well as some sliced up bananas, pineapple, and peaches.  Delicious!

After breakfast I headed out to get my hair highlighted.  No pictures of that because it won’t be complete until I get my hair cut on Monday.  I go to a beauty school to get my hair colored because it is super cheap and they do a fine job.  My highlights will cost the same as my hair cut!  Can’t beat that price.

After coming back from the hair appointment, I did Day #6 of the 30-Day Shred.  One more day at level 1 and then I’m moving up in the shredding world.  I am still doing some of the moves modified because of my knees, but I think I’m ready for a change.

After Shredding, I made a pizza!

DSCN0572

The pizza was made on a Flat Out Wrap.  The toppings included pesto sauce, diced tomatoes, pine nuts, canned chicken, and goat cheese.  It was delicious, if I say so myself.

After digesting my food and figuring out some suggestions for a Saturday night dinner location when I’m in Vegas for Cindy’s bachelorette party in 2 weeks, I headed out for a run.

I went over to VOA Park to their 1.4 mile loop around a lake.  My goal was to make it around the loop two times with no walking (which means no pain).  I made it two miles and I had to walk.  Bummer.  The pain wasn’t in the same spot as normal though….it was under my left knee.  I stopped and stretched it out and walked a bit and when I started running again I felt a twinge in the “normal” spot on my knee.  I think it’s time to get myself to that orthopedic physician.  It’s been well over a month now, I rarely run (and haven’t run anything over 2.3 miles), and I religiously foam roll and stretch.  So frustrating!  But anyways, I ran 2 miles, then walked/ran the last 10 minutes with a combo of .2 miles walk, .2 miles run.  I got a 30 minute workout in, so that’s not too shabby, I suppose.  I just wish I could run!

After the run I stopped by CVS and found these yummy things:

DSCN0575

Mmmm…Edy’s Whole Fruit Popsicles.  They are so delicious and satisfying after running outside!

Before dinner Eric started working on my bike.  I purchased new peddles, shoes, and a stem yesterday and Eric is my bike mechanic and had to get all these things on before our ride tomorrow.  The stem was put on with no issues.  The peddles were then replaced with the new ones and I attempted the first clip-in.  For the life of me, I can’t figure out how to get clipped in to these peddles!  The salespeople told me they were sooo easy to clip in to.  The website online says they were made with beginner clipless peddle riders in mind.  I’ve had clipless peddles for  years now and I cannot get into these!  I think they may be defective.  Or I’m stupid.  Either one is possible.  So because I cannot clip in to them and I need to have peddles for tomorrow, Eric put the old ones back on and I’ll have to use my old shoes for now.  I’m so sad because my new bike shoes are snazzy!

Anyways, after this fiasco, Eric discovered that one of my spokes in my rear wheel was broken.  What else could go wrong with my bike????  Just our luck, bike stores don’t seem to think they’d get any business on Saturday nights, because they all close by 6 pm.  The broken spoke was discovered at 6:30 pm.  I cannot ride a bike with a broken spoke for 45 miles!  That would cause a host of other issues.  So, Eric put his mechanical engineering mind to work and tested out a number of ideas, finally landing on this one:

DSCN0581

Yep, my bike is now ghetto.  We’re keeping our fingers crossed that this holds up over the 45 mile ride tomorrow.  If not, then at least we tried.  I was going to be so upset if he couldn’t figure something out and we had to drop out of the Ride.  I paid $30 bucks for this thing, I want to do it!  The plan is to do the Ride tomorrow and then take the bike in to the store with all my issues tomorrow afternoon.  I’ll make sure the jerry-rigged spoke has been removed so they don’t slap my wrists with a ruler.  I’m sure this would be frowned down upon in the cycling community.

While Eric was working on my bike, I started working on dinner.  I was stressed and needed to cook.  Adding on to my stress, my attempt at individual-sized angel food cakes failed miserably.

DSCN0579

I didn’t know how much batter to put in each hole.  Turns out I overestimated greatly.  Luckily they were still edible though (and pretty darn good)!

I cooked up some dinner with the idea of carbo-loading in mind.  Gotta have fuel to get us through tomorrow’s ride!

DSCN0578

In this concoction we have a Zesty Shrimp Pasta, with whole wheat noodles, shrimp, asparagus, onions, mushrooms, and Italian dressing.  I made a salad to go on the side.  I have an overabundance of mushrooms, so that made up the majority of my side salad.

Now all there is left to do today is go to bed.  I’ll foam roll one last time, get a good stretch in, and hit the hay.  I purchased some melatonin today to see if that might help me get some better sleep (or at least feel more rested during the day). 

I’ll try to take some pictures on the Ride tomorrow….if we make it far enough on my bike to take pictures.  We may be spending a lot of time sitting on the side of the road.  But keep your fingers crossed for the best!

No comments: