Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Friday, May 1, 2009

I'd rather just not think about it

The marathon weekend is upon me. I just have to get through work today and then I have nothing to do except pick up my race packet and rest. I'm excited, I'm nervous, I'm unsure...but honestly, I haven't been thinking about it much. I wonder how I'd feel right now if things would have gone perfectly, with no injury? Would I be consumed with thoughts about this marathon? Would I be able to sleep at night?

I think it's not consuming my mind because I feel like I'm just going out on a training run. This is probably a good thing. I don't need the stress that I could be feeling right now. I could be stressing out about not finishing, about having to walk. I'm just trying to think of ways that I can finish.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure after I pick up my race packet things will start to get a little more "real" for me. I'll start to get the jitters. And come Sunday morning, I will be freaking out for sure! But I need that adrenaline. I need it to mask the pain that I will almost inevitably feel in my knee as long as possible so that I can get to that finish line and get one of those awesome medals! I just want to be able to say that I completed a marathon. I want to mark it off my list.

I'm going to try to write one last time tomorrow....maybe tomorrow night before I go to bed. I'm sure I'll be nervous by then. But after that, there will be no more words on here until after whatever happens, happens. Hopefully that "whatever" is a completed marathon...in under 5 hours. That's what I'm shooting for. It doesn't have to look pretty, it doesn't have to be good...it just needs to be completed.

No comments: