Follow along as I make my way towards completing Ironman Louisville on August 29, 2010 (and a few other things along the way)!

Friday, November 21, 2008

Less than a week...

Only 6 days until the Thanksgiving Day 10K Race! I feel ready. My goal is to go under 60 minutes. That may be pushing it though since the race is 6.2 miles and not just 6 miles. That extra .2 miles may break me on that goal. But I'm optimistic. I did a little under 2 minute miles during the half-marathon last year, so as long as I pull that off again, I should be fine. I run so much faster during races than training. There's more motivation, more competitive energy running through me, and more to look at to keep my mind off the fact that I am actually running. It makes the time go faster, that's for sure!

I've ran the past two days with Keifer, about 3 miles each time. It's been so cold...and I've been concerned about taking the little boy out in such cold weather, but he doesn't seem to be affected by it much. He has decided to just sit down while we have been running (which probably causes a funny sight to those driving by....dog and person running along, dog sits, person keeps running and then gets jerked back), but I can usually coax him into finishing. So, maybe the cold is affecting him more than I realize. He seems fine as soon as we are done though. Maybe I should get him a coat or something to keep him warm. He is a skinny little thing with hardy any fur.

The running felt ok the past two days. My calves have been tired. I think I'm just not warming up enough before I set out for the run. I have a hill that I have to run up as soon as I leave my apartment complex, so that probably puts a lot of strain on my calves before they are ready for it. It usually works itself out by about the end of mile 1.

I was thinking yesterday....I've made this official verbal commitment to running the marathon and I am going to make the commitment to the training program next week, but I haven't taken the most important step yet towards my official commitment to the marathon...actually signing up for it! I'm looking at the website for the marathon and as long as I sign up before January 31st the price will be $60. I'll get to it eventually. I'll get through the race next week first and make sure I come out of it injury free before handing over the cash.

Today is a rest day for me. I woke up to do Pilates, but decided to lay in bed with Keifer and watch the news instead. How can I resist his cute little face asking me to cuddle with him??? The plan is to run 5.5 miles tomorrow and then get to the gym on Sunday to lift weights. I haven't lifted all week, so I desperately need to do it. Maybe I'll get a little yoga in there as well...if Keifer lets me do it. He really loves the taste of my sticky mat. If he's not sleeping in bed and I pull that mat out, he is down on the floor with me, laying on the mat and licking it. It doesn't matter that I am in the middle of something and he is in my way. He might shift his body a little bit due to me shoving him out of the way, but he will just go find another empty spot on the mat and lay down. And in case you don't know, sticky mats are not that spacious, especially when doing things that involve rolling on your back or stretching your legs out. My dog is a piece of work....gotta love him.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the 5.5 miles is easy-going as possible...

No comments: